12 September 2026

Cruising - Day Two

26 July, 2026

I was the first one up and about in our crew, so I decided to check out the Solarium. I wasn't quite ready for breakfast, but the coffee service was calling, and I must answer. After fixing my coffee I was tempted to grab a bagel and a plate of lox, just for a "little snack," but resisted and opted for an apple danish instead (you know, because it was healthy, thanks to the apples!) and went in search of a table. I located a vacant spot on the port side, with a nice - albeit partially obscured by fog - view. Just as I got in a rhythm of sipping, nibbling, and reading my phone pinged. My sister was up and about, ready for coffee. We met on the esplanade and waited for the others to make an appearance, then headed off to brunch.

After brunch Jeff headed to the casino to see if his luck would continue while the rest of us went to Two70 in search of seats, which we found near a gentleman who was having a heated discussion with his cellular provider over the functioning of his phone aboard the ship. It appeared to be a classic example of entitlement intersects technical ineptitude. He finally abandoned his call, much to our delight, and moved elsewhere - no doubt to find something else that didn't suit him.

Today's wildlife lecture covered the Alaskan bear population. While interesting, it wasn't quite as compelling as the whale lecture. We listened and gleaned information while keeping an eye peeled on the water for whale spouts. We did spot one or two in the distance, but never saw any humps, fins, or flukes.

We enjoyed beverages and snacks throughout the afternoon while reading, writing, knitting, and crocheting - a relaxing and restful afternoon. I did tend to some work details, trying to resolve an issue with an individual who had been caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar.

Early seating dinner was upon us before we knew it, so we dropped all of our "stuff" in the cabins and headed to the main dining room.

Dinner was solid. Good but not particularly memorable, service was great. Then we're back out the door and trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the evening. We ended up in the Schooner Bar, listening to some rather inventive performances by someone who once knew a guy who lived next door to a guy who was in a band of some renown.

All in all a nice day to unwind and not think about a whole lot before the next three days of port calls and activity were upon us.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment