23 April, 2026
 |
| Bryant Park |
We finally made it to
Zucker's for bagels! While they're certainly not Carnegie Deli (RIP) - neither are their prices. My toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese, lox, and onion was fantastic, probably boosted a bit by the fact that I was sitting in Manhattan when I ate it. Some of our local shops, all started by transplants from New York, do a solid job, so I'm not comparing this to a chain or a grocery store, but rather a legitimate bagel bakery. Lourie enjoyed her everything bagel with cream cheese as well. I look forward to our return for an opportunity to explore more of their menu. It's interesting without being extreme, which is in my wheelhouse.
The weather was crisp and clear, so we set off to the garment district with full stomachs in search of a fabric shop Lourie was familiar with. We had a nice, casual six-ish block stroll through Manhattan, enjoying the hustle and bustle of city life. Business people consumed by their cell phones, tourists trying to orient themselves with paper maps while others drug massive suitcases down the sidewalk, police officers, ambulances, and firemen responding to various calls and alarms, dog walkers, mothers with strollers, and the nondescript (such as us) who may have been visitors or just average city dwellers on their way to an appointment.
 |
The Batcave
|
We arrived at
Mood - in a nondescript office building on W 37th St, and took the elevator to the third floor. The sheer volume and selection of fabric and notions was overwhelming - and there were two more floors of equal size! Customers roamed the aisles, some just browsing, some looking for particular types of fabrics with no specific requirement, some looking for inspiration, and others with very specific needs based on project specifications, whether a costume, interior design, or other need. The energy was palpable, even for a casual observer. While I
can sew, and find it satisfying in the same way I enjoy woodworking, and have been known to help Lourie with a project from time to time, I certainly don't consider myself any sort of sewing talent. To use a cooking analogy, my sewing skills would translate to the cooking skills required to successfully prepare a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.
 |
| 7th Ave |
The established relationships between staff and customer were obvious. Discussions of searching for fabrics or trims similar to previous purchases, ongoing projects, planned projects, and personal events permeated the air. This isn't just a store, it's a community. Everyone appeared busy, and politely brusque in the typical New York "I have things to do" fashion, but they were equally polite and helpful. If you're not familiar, or unreasonably demanding, you may consider someone rude - but just a hint of polite patience pays greater dividends in New York than anything. Sit back, read the situation, and go with the flow. You'll walk away with a smile more often than you will a frown.
Lourie found a some fabrics to help complete a few projects, we paid, and went on our way. We had time for a nice stroll back to the hotel to drop off our packages before heading over to Serendipity3 for our late lunch/early dinner reservation. We stopped at a few of the classic "I 🖤 NY" shops on the way, searching for youth-sized t-shirts. The weather was absolutely spectacular, which made the walk all the more enjoyable.
 |
| Frozen Hot Chocolate |
Until this trip I had never heard of Serendipity3, had no idea what it was or what they offered. Walking in from the street I wasn't sure if we landed in Wonderland or were having a psychedelic adventure. The decor was LOUD, colorful, and whimsical, the menu was bordering on overwhelming, and the staff convivial. While the venue screams "tween birthday" it's not difficult to set aside your inhibitions and go with the flow. This was our big meal of the day, but it turned out to be a bit "bigger" than I anticipated, due to the simple fact that the portions were generous and the dishes were tasty. And then there's the Frozen Hot Chocolate. I chose the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and Lourie selected the traditional "plain" Hot Chocolate - but there's nothing plain about it. I'm not sure what I expected, but the rich and creamy concoction was better than I anticipated, and the serving is deceptively large, make sure to bring an appetite.
 |
| entrees |
For our entrees Lourie ordered the
Summer Bries - turkey with apples, brie, and sprouts. I continued with my ongoing burger trend and opted for a
Truffle Burger - with boursin cheese, fried onions, and onion jam. The burger was a bit messy to eat, but outrageously delicious. The fries were perfectly cooked - crispy on the outside while fluffy and tender on the inside. While we both made a valiant effort to finish our entrees, we both failed to achieve our goal, but not by much. With ample time before the doors of the theater opened, we enjoyed a walk through Times Square on the way back to our hotel to freshen up before the play.
We arrived in the queue a comfortable length of time prior to doors opening, and the crowd was absolutely giddy with the prospect of seeing Tom Felton on stage. The energy was much higher as compared to our previous visit, almost festive in nature. Just as our last time, the crowd was attired in everything from Hogwarts Robes, to jeans and t-shirts, to coat and tie. The overwhelming majority chose shirts or blouses and slacks - a nice combination of comfort and style. The lobby was abuzz with excitement as first-timers explored the interactive exhibits while waiting for the doors to the auditorium to open. When the time arrived we located our seats, which were an upgrade from our first visit, and settled in for the performance. Despite having seen it before, we both experienced the sensation of watching a show for the first time. We were in agreement that the first time we saw the show the special effects took center-stage, and this time we were more focused on the performers. The first time Tom made an entry the crowd went berserk, which is apparently the norm based on the actors' reactions. Everyone froze, waiting for the applause to subside, before continuing with their lines. Likewise, each time "Draco" delivered the line
"Potter" the he was met with thunderous applause - and everyone held their place again. The presence of Mr. Felton notwithstanding, we found the show much more enjoyable the second time around. If you've seen the show once and liked it, I recommend seeing it again if you have the opportunity.
 |
| Times Square |
No comments:
Post a Comment